Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bacon's Famous Minestrone Soup!

Another week, another dollar...another 50 cents after tax, if you want to get technical. It was a busy busy busy week at work, as usual. I'm trying to blog more than just on the weekends, but that's proving easier said than done, I'm afraid. Something to work on...I'm a work in progress! :-)

We had a nice outing yesterday (if you don't count my better half little incident with the white porcelain throne. Not in the good drunken way, but in the sick, not feeling good kind of way. :-( She's been taking an anti-biotic for bronchitis and I think that's the culprit.

Anyway, we headed out to St. Jacob's Farmers' Market on Saturday morning and left there with a REALLY yummy haul!

The first picture is the whole kit and caboodle (I have NO idea where that came from...who SAYS that anymore???!).

Moving left to right...sticky buns (aka cinnamon buns), garlic bread (standing up behind the first item), garlic red pepper jelly, regular red pepper jelly, Empire apples, acorn squash, butternut squash...

...Royal Gala apples, mini red potatoes, honey butter, apple cider, beeswax tea lights.

Wow, quite the spread! Except for the vomiting, good fun was had by all! To end our Saturday, we had a NAP! I LOVE weekend naps! I slept for 3 or so hours, but I let my better half sleep for a couple of hours longer, since she wasn't feeling well. We had half of the garlic bread for supper, with some Classico Tomato and Basil pasta sauce. YUM!!!

This morning I had some of my Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal with some brown sugar and milk. Last night I put some into the crockpot (as suggested on the company's website), so it was ready for my consumption this morning. It was pretty good, as usual, but REALLY hard to clean out of the crockpot. The reason I did it in the first place was so that I could have some already made to bring to work for breakfast. I'll see tomorrow how it is warmed up in the microwave.

Today we met up for lunch with one of our friends that we hadn't seen in a good while. We headed to the Pickle Barrel and had a pretty tasty lunch. I had a chicken wrap with hummus etc. and some veggie soup. I took home the other half of the wrap to have with tomorrow's lunch.

Which brings me to tomorrow's lunch (and lunch for the rest of the week, as a matter of fact). I made...guess...just try to guess what I made. It rhymes with POOP, GOOP, BOOP, COOP, HOOP, LOOP...get it yet? You're right!!! SOUP!!!!! I'm thinking of calling this blog, "Bacon's Soup". It seems like that's ALL I make. Anyway, on to the soup...

Here is a before heat and after heat shot of my famous (first time making this) "Bacon's Minestrone Soup"!
I'm actually quite proud of myself. I looked at a couple of recipes, didn't really see anything that I totally liked, so I created my own! Here's a list of the ingredients:
  • diced tomatoes
  • white beans
  • orzo pasta
  • carrots
  • celery
  • kale
  • garlic
  • EVOO
  • beef broth
  • beef bullion cube
  • veggie broth
  • water
  • oregano
  • basil
  • S&P

I think that was it. I have it written down, but am just too tired to get my butt up to have a look. It made enough for the week, and then some! Oh and let me just say...I felt like a real chef when I was cutting up the kale! I don't know why, but I felt like I actually KNEW what I was doing! LOL!

Tonight for supper we had the other half of the garlic bread with the rest of the pasta sauce. So good! We'll be buying some more of that next time we go, for sure. We don't go as often as we'd like...it's about a 45 minute drive away and we always end up spending a good bit of cash. Good stuff though. Totally worth it!

I think that's about it for the weekend. It was pretty busy...didn't get in a workout...haven't really gone in awhile. I plan on going in the morning, so hopefully the extra hour of sleep will facilitate that. Anyway, have a great week everyone! I'll be enjoying my soup!

3 comments:

Krista said...

I see you went to St. Jacob's! I go there quite a bit! What area do you live in? I'm in Guelph....

BACON said...

I LOVE St. Jacob's! I live in Burlington, so it's not too long of a drive, but I end up spending too much money to make the trip too often. I used to live in KW while in university years ago, so I used to go a LOT!

Thank you for commenting! It's nice to see that one or two people are checking out my blog! :-)

HangryPants said...

I love minestrone soup! Great recipe. :D